lundi 26 janvier 2015

Students from collège share their readings with you through book reviews :


I am Malala : the Girl Who Stood Up for an Education
and Was Shot by the Taliban
 

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb tells the story about a 15 year-old girl called Malala who becomes very outspoken about the rights of girls to have and education. For her to think that makes her a target for the taliban (a religious group that has very different ideas about the roles of women in Pakistan society). On Tuesday October 9 2012 she almost paid the ultimate price she was shot in the head while riding the bus from school, a few expected her to survive. Instead Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize.


I am Malala is a biographie of Malala Yousafzai who is a really courageous girl. I love the fact that she is really involve in social causes even though she is risking her life in the process.

She says in her book that she has learned English by watching Ugly Betty on the television. She is a great role model, reading this book makes us want to do more and help other people. “I told myself, Malala, you have already faced death. This is your second life. Don't be afraid — if you are afraid, you can't move forward.” I found this quote very inspiring as she has faced the worst thing that can happen in your life and she is still not afraid.


I'd say read it !! I was really interested in reading this, I would really recommend reading this book because I found Malala's story very inspiring. I would advise kids not to read this as it may be hard to understand and not very interesting for them but for teenagers and adults this book is perfect I would rate it a 5 out of 5.


by Adelie, 3e5
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon



Christopher is an autistic teenager who hates being confused because all his thoughts can easily mix up. Well, that happens when he finds his neighbour’s dog murdered. Despite his father telling him not to put his nose in others’ problems, 15 year old Christopher will investigate. This search will bring unexpected changes in his life.
In my opinion, the author made Christopher a very rich and interesting character. He is a very clever boy "And I thought about how, for a long time, scientists were puzzled by the fact that the sky is dark at night, even though there are billions of stars in the universe (...) I like this fact.It is something you can work out in your own mind."
For this reason, I got hooked by the story.
This winner of the grand children’s fiction prize books is a perfect choice for children who love mysteries, twisted plots and even intriguing mathematics.
By Adrien, 5e7